October 2016 will represent a major anniversary for Chopard: 20 years since Co-president Karl-Friedrich Scheufele decided to revisit the aims of Louis-Ulysse Chopard when he founded the high-precision watch manufacture in Sonvilier, Switzerland, in 1860. After years of planning, the company, which has been run by the Scheufele family since 1963, opened a separate haute horlogerie facility in Fleurier dedicated to the production of mechanical L.U.C movements.
Subsequently renamed L.U.C 96.01 L, this movement featured a bidirectional 22ct-gold micro-rotor and twin stacked barrels giving 65 hours of power reserve. Seen by many as one of the finest Swiss automatic movements produced at that time, the calibre met the standards of both the Swiss Official Chronometer Testing Institute (COSC) and the Poinçon de Genève, guaranteeing both precision and quality of finishing and decoration of the watch movement. The L.U.C 1.96 powered the very first L.U.C model – the L.U.C 1860 – and showed the world that the Chopard Manufacture was a centre of horological excellence to be reckoned with.