The story of the New York City Cartier mansion, which started with a pearl necklace, continues after a massive two- and-a-half year overhaul. Now, the historic building has re-opened, as the largest Cartier boutique in the world.
Back in the early 1900s, Pierre Cartier, the grandson of the founder of Cartier, was searching for a New York building that was at least a match for the brand’s Paris and London locations. What eventually met all of his desires, was the Plant mansion located at 653 Fifth Avenue.
Curiously, the mansion owner’s wife, Maisie Plant, had desperately fallen in love with a perfectly matched double strand pearl necklace from Cartier, worth one million dollars.
It was then decided that Cartier would trade the necklace, in exchange for the deeds to the the mansion in 1917 and it has since served as the U.S. flagship location, for the maison, ever since.